How to open and play .rags game files
In short, Rags is a free game engine to create visual novel and text based adventure games. Lately we have…
In short, Rags is a free game engine to create visual novel and text based adventure games. Lately we have seen quite a few games made on this engine. It is probably easier to access compared to Ren’Py. I dont know. Anyway, this is a small tutorial that is about how to play a file with .rags extension. Here is everything you need to play Rags games.
Prerequisites: These are windows components you need to run Rags games properly. Those are usually provided with Rags installer but we are just including them to be safe.
- .NET 2.0 Service Pack 2 – All versions included
- Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 – It comes as both x86 and x64 versions (in the same package), but if your windows is 64bit then you have to install both 64bit and 32bit versions.
Rags Download Links: The download links can be found in official site listed below. However we have also added some mirror in case the site is down or something.
- Download from official site.
- RAGS Suite Beta 126.96.36.199 ZIP Installation file.
- RAGS Suite Beta 3.0.59 ZIP Installation file.
- RAGS Suite Stable 2.4.16 ZIP Installation file.
- Rags Non-Install Portable Versions.
Then Run the Rags program and open your .rags files.
Now here is some instruction for the error “This RAGS game is unreadable “. I found this in a forum and it is 3 years old. I dont know if they fixed this problem or if this method solve the issue. Let me know in comment section.
- Turn on Control Panel > Programs > Turn Feature on and off > .Net framework 3.5.1
- Turn on Control Panel > Programs > Turn Feature on and off > Media Features > Windows Media Player
- Download Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 Service Pack 2 for Windows Desktop : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=5783 First install x86 then x64, as instructed.
- Download RagsSetup.2.4.16.zip from mirror link http://www.4shared.com/postDownload/R-ami31Cce/RagsSetup2416.html
- Click on RagsSetup.
- First error message: “This setup requires the .NET Framework version 4.0”. Install dotNetFx40_Client_setup.exe, reboot computer, click on RagsSetup.
- Same error message. Click on “setup” rather than “RagsSetup”, and it installs .NET Framework on its own.
- It should Say that it’s installing Rags x86.
So there you have it